Sunday, November 20, 2016

Young Student + Field, Village near Kairana, Uttar Pradesh, India, 2016


Continuing the series from this region of India, this student's portrait is presented. Thanks to our generous hosts Imdadullah Nadvi Imdadullah Nadvi Imdadullah Nadvi and Munshad Ali Chauhan, we were able to spend a week in this troubled region of India and make portraits of the most exquisite children. 

This school happens to be the school in their village. These two brothers are now in a position to change the system of education in their region, as one is an Islamic leader while the other is the political leader. They both hope to make serious advances on behalf of their community, and especially the children.

Soon we hope this young girl will have access to a full education, in addition to her traditional training. Her portrait was made just behind the mosque, right before their classes began. Her expression is etched in my mind, and moves me to fulfill my end of the conversation from earlier this year.

The place is beyond my ability to describe adequately, and upon seeing it for the very first time I knew this was a place I needed to be. Next year when we do return we will return with a plan, and the funds to help that plan come to fruition. I can feel it in my bones, as real to me as her image is to all of you.



Note: This image was made with a Sony RX100M3.

No comments:

Post a Comment