Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Exhaling, Crimea, Matanzas, Cuba, 2015


This small village is quite special to me ever since we made a turn from the highway three years ago. We were on our way back from the countryside and spotted nothing on the highway itself. Then my instinct told me to ask Alejandro to make that turn, and everything followed from that fortunate chance.

We made a photograph of a farmer next to his cart, and then purchased some avocado and bananas. He was a gentle man, and invited us to drive to his village a mile or so up the road. Following his lead is what led us to this row of houses.

While we were there to photograph some of the younger residents, this young woman caught my eye one afternoon. She was supremely cool, had the most confident smile and engaged in a conversation without hesitation. She told me about herself, invited me into her home to see her life as it was.

The only time she was surprised was when I asked for her photograph. We talked for a little bit, as I shared my enthusiasm for her portrait. She accepted quickly and stood in front of her home with this cigarette in her hand. At first she was going to put the cigarette down, then she picked it up and this series was born!

I hope to visit her village this year of course, and hand her the portraits just scanned this week!



Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/100 mm combination onto Kodak TMX film.

No comments:

Post a Comment