Monday, April 18, 2016

Young Student + Madrasa, Shamli District, Uttar Pradesh, India, 2016


Continuing the series from this region of India, this student's portrait is presented. Thanks to our generous hosts Imdadullah Nadvi Nadvi andMunshad Ali Chauhan, we were able to spend a week in this troubled region of India and make portraits of the most exquisite children. 

This school happens to be the school of their bestfriend in another village, a school built by their friend for the children of his village. He has started off with the traditional madrasa, and has expressed to us his desire to do much more. As a result of this expression and the desire on our behalf to also do something, we have started the conversation regarding an interfaith collaboration.

Soon we hope this young girl will have access to a full education, in addition to her traditional training. Her portrait was made in a beautiful room on the second floor of the school. The only light coming in was from the doorway, and the floor was covered with wheat. She was different than the others in that she held her hands up against her chest, rather than to her side. Her expression is etched in my mind, and moves me to fulfill my end of the conversation from this past month.

The view from the roof of this building is hard to match, overlooking endless wheat fields in every direction. The place is beyond my ability to describe adequately, and upon seeing it for the very first time I knew this was a place I needed to be. Next year when we do return we will return with a plan, and the funds to help that plan come to fruition. I can feel it in my bones, as real to me as her image is to all of you.

Note: This image was made with a Sony RX100M3.

No comments:

Post a Comment