Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Migrants + Garbage Dump, New Delhi, India, April of 2015



]Earlier this year on my first day in India I walked from the hotel to the Humana People to People India HQ a few kilometers away. On my way I noticed a camp within a garbage dump and knew that the most amazing faces were inside. So I continued to the HQ for my first meeting with the team.

A few weeks later I returned to the city to reorganize and had a day or two to roam around. The good people at the foundation volunteered their time to be with me, and over two sessions we visited the camp. The reception we received was both warm and open. They immediately allowed us the opportunity to make portraits, and we set up to do so.

In the middle of the garbage, with the scent of waste all around, we worked with the children for over an hour. Some adults stepped forth to have their portrait made. During one session a man approached us to ask about our intentions. He happened to be working for the camp, trying to organize the families and provide them with the chance to achieve certain rights denied their community as migrants. We had a great conversation, as he approved of our work.

Some people may wonder, where is the environment in these portraits? 

My preference is to make their portraits without including the garbage strewn all about, without showing the endless stream of flies all about their faces. Perhaps it's more appropriate to do so, but this has been the way for me since the first portraits were made in Lebanon… right or wrong.

The next image will show the scene as it was.


Note: These images were taken by the team of HPPI as the portraits were be made, with a Sony RX100M2.

No comments:

Post a Comment