Friday, May 15, 2015

Young Model + Scarf, Santa Maria del Mar, Cuba, Summer of 2014


We met almost five years ago while she was modeling at my friend's school in Havana, Cuba. She was just starting off and had the most striking features at such a young age, an old soul trapped in a young shell perhaps. We exposed a roll for her that same day, and have remained in touch since then, making this portrait just last summer on the island.
She had seen my work with the Muslim communities from Asia and wanted to present her spin, thus the shawl in this portrait. She was having a lot of fun with it, and it all seemed so surreal to me… a Cuban woman on the beach with a shawl over her hair. There were times when I thought I was somewhere else, only to be snapped back onto the beach by the scent of salt and the sound of the waves crashing onto the sand. This is what makes photography so magical!


No comments:

Post a Comment