Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Student + Original Cover, Humana People to People India, Rajasthan, India, December of 2013


She was there on my first visit, and remains today. When Humana People to People India initiated the schools for girls in her village, she was one of the first to cross the threshold and attend the classes offered. Her cousin taught those first classes and accepted our challenge to reopen the schools last year, leaving her position at the local government school with fervor.

When I first met this young student, I was enthralled by her features and even more so by her expressions. It was as if she knew me, and understood the work before I had any idea of its purpose. In her early years she exuded a most androgynous quality, deeply suited for the medium of the black and white image.

She has since matured beautifully, and allowed me this past year to make her portrait even though she was a bit older than the other students. She had just repositioned her scarf in this way, and was so surprised that it excited me so!

The school in her village is thriving, and I cannot wait to see the students again in four or so months!

www.halimina.org

Note: This image was made with a Hasselblad 555 ELD/180 mm combination, onto Kodak TMY 400 ISO film

No comments:

Post a Comment