Sunday, September 6, 2009

Farm, West of Havana, Cuba, 2008

It's a sunny day and the rental car is due tomorrow. Getting in the car seems natural and driving without a map even more so. The thought is to reach the main road, drive away from the sun after getting out of Havana and continue to do so until the sun is two hours from setting, then turn around and reach Havana as the sun sets.

I am alone and begin the drive as the sun rises. Many people are already on the road, waiting for public transportation to get them to their destination.

Seeing families alongside the road, under the sun, proves very difficult for me, knowing that my car is large enough for them. Being alone in a country foreign to me forces me to continue driving.

My experiences on this island have also taught me that the notion of helping people is at times viewed by certain authorities differently. During this trip, two authorities stop to ask me questions regarding my photography, regarding my relationship with the people being photographed, which leads me to explain this image.

Seeing the formation of the clouds and the colors of the landscape made me stop, nothing else really.

A few frames were exposed and then I continued to drive down the road looking for another scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment